View this page as a PDF.
Senior data journalist, Public Radio International.
Boston, Mass., 2016-present.
- Responsible for data reporting and editing other members of the data team.
- Produce data visualizations in tandem with major projects in the newsroom and data-based stories from within the data team.
Deputy editor, interactive and mobile, Al Jazeera America.
New York, N.Y., 2013-2016.
- Lead team that launched app in spring 2014. Brainstormed new features with product team, tested sprints. Trained editors to update app.
- Produced award-winning interactive features projects. Edited video, audio, and designed custom layouts, graphics, maps and data visualizations.
- Trained colleagues on basic data techniques, audio gathering and editing, Github usage and basic HTML as needed.
Senior associate, Pew Charitable Trusts.
Washington, D.C., 2013.
- Published content to Pewtrusts.org, updated main Pew social media.
- Wrote weekly newsletter highlighting work across organization.
Creative Lead, Home Front Communications.
Washington, D.C., 2010-2013.
- Led discovery sessions with new clients; stakeholder interviews, content audits, focus groups and general research. Created vision memo and UX wireframes for all pages of new sites.
- Created data visualizations and interactive graphics and features for clients.
Multimedia producer, USA TODAY.
McLean, Va., 2006-2010.
- Lead team for “Vancouver Today,” a daily webcast from the 2010 Olympics. Wrote scripts, made assignments, conducted interviews.
- Team leader in sports department, responsible for all multimedia and graphics in print and online. Developed award-winning graphics for 2010 Olympic Games and annual Masters tournament.
- Other coverage included documentary project from 2009 inauguration of President Barack Obama and coverage from Virginia Tech shooting.
Reporter, Reno Gazette-Journal.
Reno, Nev. 2005-2006.
- Wrote stories for award-winning special project about methamphetamine.
CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. New York, N.Y. Aug. 2015 - present.
American University, School of Communication. Washington, D.C. Jan. 2011 - May 2013.
Taught intro to audio and video production. Course included audio and video recording and editing in Audacity and Final Cut Pro.
University of Maryland, College of Journalism. College Park, Md. Jan. 2008 - May 2012.
Taught a senior-level overview course about online journalism. Included lessons on social media, online communities, SEO, and basic HTML/CSS.
University of Nevada, Reno, Reynolds School of Journalism. Reno, Nev. Sept. 2005-June 2006.
Taught intro to media production. Included video, audio, basic Photoshop and non-linear storytelling lessons.
Editor and Publisher EPPY Award, best news or event feature on a website for "A Deep Divide," coverage of proposed Nicaragua canal project. Finalist in two other categories.
Data Journalism Award, general excellence, for "Jim Crow Returns," an investigative look at the Interstate Crosscheck program.
Online News Association, finalist in breaking news for Amtrak train crash coverage and finalist in planned events for midterm election coverage.
Native American Journalism Association, best online feature story, for "Radio on the Reservation."
Webby nominee, Al Jazeera America mobile app.
Women in Media, Gracies award, for outstanding online audio programming for feature, "Ferguson Talks Politics."
University of Nevada, Reno, Bachelor of Arts, journalism. Reno, Nev., Sept. 2000- May 2005.
Served as editor-in-chief of The Nevada Sagebrush student paper and president of Society of Professional Journalists chapter.
Software: CartoDB, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, InDesign, Audition, Final Cut Pro Tools suite, Omnigraffle, Github,
QGIS, charting libraries.
Other: Audio gathering/editing; photography; video; social media strategy; web usability standards/user experience design; data management and visualization.